Friday, October 8, 2010

Tired, jeans not fitting, what is going on?










For me this is so important to get this information out to you! I suffered for a long time and didn't know it was my thyroid! I am young, active, eat healthy and it just didn't make sense to feel the way I did. So I asked for a blood test to check my thyroid. Why, did I do this? Well, I was tired of feeling tired and not getting answers. I take good care of myself and the protein that I eat and supplement with was keeping me a bay and helping me get through. It just wasn't enough at that point in time. I read, investigated, got info and asked the Dr. to check all my hormone levels. Bingo!! Hypothyroidism for me! Say What: I wasn't over weight, but always hungry, and if I don't workout, I do put on some weight, even if it isn't much, it was a bit much for me. You know a few pounds makes you feel like crap, well me anyway. You may still look good, but you know the difference in your own body, right? OK, so I got that figured out, still dealing with getting numbers checked and all that stuff. For me it is about making sure I eat every 2-3 hours, take my meds, drink a lot of water and decaf green tea, and oh the most important thing for me is the best meal of the day! Shakeology, without it I crash, without it I lose my energy and focus! I truly tell you this because it works and I love it. I know the difference in me and many others that share with me. So I please find the information below. I hope it helps you in some way, I got it form Web MD. I think it is really good. Please let me know how you are doing, and if you have any questions.






An unexplained change in weight is one of the most common signs of a thyroid disorder. Weight gain may signal low levels of thyroid hormones, a condition called hypothyroidism. In contrast, if the thyroid produces more hormones than the body needs, you may lose weight unexpectedly. This is known as hyperthyroidism. Hypothyroidism is far more common.
Thyroid hormones affect nearly every organ in the body and can influence how quickly the heart beats. People with hypothyroidism may notice their heart rate is slower than usual. Hyperthyroidism may cause the heart to speed up. It can also trigger increased blood pressure and the sensation of a pounding heart, known as heart palpitations.
Thyroid disorders can have a noticeable impact on your energy level and mood. Hypothyroidism tends to make people feel tired, sluggish, and depressed.
Hyperthyroidism can cause anxiety, problems sleeping, restlessness, and irritability.
Thyroid disorders can disrupt the ability to regulate body temperature. People with hypothyroidism may feel cold more often than usual. Hyperthyroidism tends to have the opposite effect, causing excessive sweating and an aversion to heat.

If your doctor suspects a thyroid disorder, a blood test can help provide an answer. This test measures the level of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), a kind of master hormone that regulates the work of the thyroid gland. If TSH is high, it typically means that your thyroid function is too low (hypothyroid). If TSH is low, then it generally means the thyroid is overactive (hyperthyroid.) Your doctor may also check levels of other thyroid hormones in your blood. In some cases, imaging studies are used and biopsies are taken to evaluate a thyroid abnormality.

The most common cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's disease. This is an autoimmune disorder in which the body attacks the thyroid gland. The result is damage to the thyroid, preventing it from producing enough hormones. Hashimoto's disease tends to run in families.

In some cases, hypothyroidism results from a problem with the pituitary gland, which is at the base of the brain. This gland produces thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), which tells the thyroid to do its job. If your pituitary gland does not produce enough TSH, your levels of thyroid hormones will fall. Other causes of hypothyroidism include temporary inflammation of the thyroid or medications that affect thyroid function.When left untreated, hypothyroidism can raise your cholesterol levels and make you more likely to have a stroke or heart attack. In severe cases, very low levels of thyroid hormones can trigger a loss of consciousness and life-threatening drop in body temperature. Untreated hyperthyroidism can cause serious heart problems and brittle bones.

If you are diagnosed with hypothyroidism, your doctor will most likely prescribe thyroid hormones in the form of a pill. This usually leads to noticeable improvements within a couple of weeks. Long-term treatment can result in more energy, lower cholesterol levels, and gradual weight loss. Most people with hypothyroidism will need to take thyroid hormones for the rest of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment