Friday, January 21, 2011

Eating Clean 30 Day Challenge Day 5



Day 5:
How are we doing? I am so excited it is Friday! I have been asking you to log all you are eating now for the entire week and then to go back and mark what your portions sizes are and if you know if your foods are protein, carbs, fat, veggies, and or fruits. I want to encourage you to keep it going. You are laying the foundation to create the Habit of Eating Clean!!

As I said yesterday, I will talk to you today about what your portions of each food should look like. I will also give you examples of how to start to plan and prepare your food choices and meals to be ready each day to eat healthy and clean. Here is where more work comes in on your part.
There is some great ideas out there that I have found work and some don't! For example: I used to tell everyone to eat every 2- 3 hours. Most of us need to eat every 4 hours to keep our insulin levels more balanced. I have found every 4 hours is BEST!!!! It is about balance. When we eat to frequently we end up surging our insulin on a constant basis.

Lean Proteins: Meat, Fish, tofu, Egg whites about 5- 6 servings a day
Complex Carbs from Veggies and Fruit: 5- 6 servings a day
Carbs considered starchy: banana, rice, sweet potato, pastas, oatmeal. 2-4 servings a day
Fats ( Healthy): Olive oil, avocado (yummy), nuts, peanut butter- 2-3 servings a day
Supplements: Vitamins

Proteins: About the size of your open palm- 3 oz is like a child's palm or deck of cards, 5 oz about adults size.
Carbs: Starchy, the palm of your hand no finger, or fist size.
Veggies: 2 hands open filled
Fats: like a tbsp or 2
Fruit: small to medium size or 1 cup of berries

This weekend assignment are as follows:

Step 1: Clean out all the foods that are not good for you. High saturated fat foods, most processed foods with lard, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sugars. All garbage sweets! High fat ice creams, candy, cookies, chips, dips! You know:)

Step 2: Write down the times that you can eat to equal about every 4 hours. Leave this blank till you read the next days posts on meal ideas. Write in there when you will drink water as well.

After you read the next days posts you will be able to create your shopping list and meal plan!!!!!!

Step 3: Create shopping list of foods you need on hand to help you eat clean. Pick a day that you will go shopping and remember that you may need to go to more than 1 store to find what you need. I personally shop at Frutiful Yields, Aldi, Target, Jewel, and Walmart. Depending on the week and what I need.
I take my list and break it down into the store I am going to. I take inventory of my home. What do you need? I then write down everything I need. I transfer that on to the paper and list items that I can get at each store I am going to. I visualize in my head going down each aisle and write the list in the order of the aisle. This is a huge time saver. If you are knew to this, it will take you a couple of weeks to get it down.

My next post will be a shopping list example.
Meal plan example and some ideas on some healthy treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment